Breese Little Prize for Art Criticism
The BREESE LITTLE Prize for Art Criticism was launched in September 2010. The aim of the prize is to support, encourage and provide a platform for young writers of art criticism. Deadlines for the prize will be three times a year with a first prize of £600. The winning submissions will initially be published on BREESE LITTLE's website.
The Directors of BREESE LITTLE, as young arts writers themselves, understand the struggles facing aspiring art critics. The prize therefore offers an unparalleled opportunity to promote successful work in competitive forums with wide readership, providing vital exposure for talented, and often unrewarded, young critics.
1) Entrants must be aged between 18 and 26 or in full-time education.
2) Submissions should be no more than 750 words.
3) Entrants may only submit one article per prize and it should not have been published previously in print or online.
4) Five submissions will be shortlisted by BREESE LITTLE before being judged by a figure in the contemporary art world.
5) Submissions should address a contemporary visual arts exhibition which has taken place within six months of the submission deadline, either in the UK or internationally.
6) Articles should be submited in pdf or microsoft word format.
7) The name of document should be your name in capital letters.
8) Please do not include images.
9) Please format the file so that the whole document fits onto one sheet.
10) Your name, the title of the exhibition and the dates of the exhibition should be written clearly at the top of the page.
11) Please include email address and contact phone number at the top of the submission.
12) The winner will be asked to show proof of age/full-time education.
We favour criticism which privileges accessibility without losing analytical bite, which does not mystify with art jargon or compromise content, and which maintains intellectual rigour, strong visual analysis and demonstrates a thorough engagement with contemporary art in general.
Please note, writers should not submit reviews of any BREESE LITTLE exhibitions or exhibitions which include artists we work with regularly. If in doubt please contact us before submitting.
The deadline for Vol VIII of the BREESE LITTLE Prize for Art Criticism will be Friday 5th July 2013.
Please send all submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
If you would like to receive notifications about the BREESE LITTLE Prize for Art Criticism on a regular basis please submit your email address using the form below.